Are you in the market for a wig?
Whether experiencing hair loss or simply looking to change your look, wigs can be a convenient and transformative option. However, with so many styles, types of lace, grades of hair, and materials, it can take time to find the perfect wig.
That's why we've put together this list of 5 tips to help you choose the perfect wig.
From considering your personal needs to seeking professional help, these tips will guide you on your journey to finding a wig that looks and feels like your own.
So if you're ready to find the perfect wig, read on!
Wigs are a popular option for people who want to change their appearance or cover up hair loss. A wig is a head covering made from human hair, synthetic hair, or a blend that is worn to mimic the appearance of natural hair.
Just a reminder, Private Label Detroit only offers 100% human hair wigs. You might want to try a local beauty supply store if you are looking for something synthetic.
Wigs can be worn for various reasons, including to cover up hair loss due to medical conditions such as alopecia or chemotherapy, to achieve a desired hairstyle or length without committing to a permanent change, or for fashion or costume purposes.
Wigs are available in a wide range of styles, colors, and quality of hair, making it possible for anyone to find a wig that fits their needs and preferences.
Consider Your Wig Needs
When choosing a wig, it's essential to consider your personal needs.
Here are a few factors to consider:
- Suffering Hair Loss?: If you are experiencing hair loss due to a medical condition, you may choose a wig specifically designed to address your needs. For example, if you have alopecia, look for a wig with a monofilament top, allowing a more natural look and feel.
- Desired Style: Think about the style and length of the wig that you want. We offer the popular styles including Body Wave, Straight, Loose Wave, and Deep Wave. Wigs can also be styled to more complex patterns with the right flat iron. Consider your face shape and personal style when deciding on a wig.
- Length of the Wig: Do you want a short, sassy pixie cut or a long, flowing mane? Private Label has cute bob wigs as well as lace fronts up to 50" in length. The most popular wigs are usually 18" - 24" in length.
- Budget: Wigs can range in price from a hundred dollars to over a thousand dollars, so it's essential to consider your budget when shopping for a wig. Remember that higher-quality wigs may be more expensive, but they can also be more durable and realistic-looking.
By considering your needs and preferences, you can narrow down your options and find a perfect wig.
Buying the Best Wig for Your Budget
Considering your personal needs is essential because the right wig can significantly affect your overall appearance and confidence.
- Type of Lace: If you want to wear a wig with lace you will most likely be looking at Standard, Transparent, and HD Lace options. The HD Lace Wigs will be more expensive because the material cost for HD is much higher.
- Wig Density: The density of a wig will also affect the price. Wigs with a higher density will cost more because they are constructed with more hair. The most common density ratings are 130% density for a natural look, 150% density for a fuller look, and 180% for a thick hairstyle.
- Budget: Wigs can range in price from a few hundred dollars to over a thousand dollars, so it's essential to consider your budget when shopping for a wig. Higher-quality wigs may be more expensive, but they can also be more durable and realistic-looking. Some wigs like a U-Part that doesn't have any lace will be more cost-effective.
Considering your needs and preferences, you can find a wig that is perfect for you and fits your budget.
High-Quality Hair Materials
Look for high-quality hair when choosing a wig. Here is an excellent video that goes over the truth about hair extension grades and the differences in hair quality.
Wigs can be made from various materials, including human hair, synthetic hair, and a blend of both. Synthetic wigs are usually less expensive and more low-maintenance, but they may not look as natural as human hair wigs. They are commonly sold in Detroit's local beauty supply stores.
Human hair wigs are more costly and require more care, but they can look and feel very natural. There are many different types of human hair wigs to choose from including lace front wigs, closure wigs, headband wigs, u-part wigs, and full lace wigs.
If you choose a human hair wig, be sure to look for one that is made from high-quality, virgin hair. Virgin hair has not been chemically treated, so it is more robust and more durable than hair that has been processed. Additionally, look for a wig made with a sturdy cap construction, as this will help the wig hold its shape and last longer.
The quality of the hair used in a wig can significantly affect the overall look and feel of the wig. For example, high-quality hair, such as real human hair or synthetic fibers that mimic the look and feel of real hair, can make a wig look and feel more natural and comfortable to wear. On the other hand, wigs made with lower-quality hair may look and feel fake and may need to be more durable.
Real human hair wigs are made from 100% human hair and can offer a natural look and feel. They can be styled and treated like natural hair but require more care and maintenance than synthetic wigs. Human hair wigs are also more expensive than synthetic wigs.
Synthetic wigs are made from synthetic fibers designed to mimic the look and feel of real hair. They are usually less expensive than human hair wigs and require less maintenance, but they may not look or feel as natural as human hair wigs. Synthetic wigs are a good option for those on a budget or those who want a low-maintenance wig.
Although, you might be surprised at the quality of human hair wigs we have in our Detroit showroom for the price. It can rival most beauty supply stores but with a much higher quality hair option.
By choosing a wig made with high-quality hair, you can ensure that your wig looks and feels natural and comfortable to wear.
Choose a Wig Color that Flatters You
Choosing a wig in a color that flatters your skin tone and face shape can make a big difference in your overall appearance.
A wig that is the wrong color for your skin tone can wash you out or make you look sickly, while a wig that is the right color can enhance your natural beauty and give you a more youthful appearance.
If you have a darker skin tone and want to colorful wig you might want to consider adding dark roots to have a more natural look.
Here are some tips for finding the perfect wig color:
- Try on wigs in different shades: Be bold and try on wigs in different shades to see what looks best on you. You may be surprised that a color you never thought you could pull off looks excellent on you.
- Consult with a stylist: A stylist can help you find the perfect wig color by considering your skin tone, eye color, and personal style.
- Consider your natural hair color: If you are covering up hair loss, choose a wig in a similar shade to your natural hair color. This can make the wig look more natural and make it easier to blend in with your hair.
- Don't be afraid to experiment: Wigs are a great way to try out new colors without committing to a permanent change. So don't be scared to experiment and have fun with different shades.
Consider starting with a blonde wig and tone it down to get the perfect color. Sometimes taking a 1B wig to the extreme can damage the hair.
By following these tips and considering your skin tone and face shape, you can find the perfect wig color that enhances your natural beauty.
Find a Good Fit!
For several reasons, finding a wig that fits well and is comfortable to wear is essential. Conversely, a wig that fits poorly can be uncomfortable and may not look as natural as a wig that works well.
Here are some tips for finding the perfect fit:
- Try on wigs in person: Try on wigs in person to get a better sense of the fit. You can try different sizes and styles to see which ones feel the most comfortable and look the best.
- Use adjustable sizing options: Many wigs come with adjustable sizing options, such as elastic bands or Velcro strips, that allow you to customize the fit. These options can be beneficial if you have a hard-to-fit head size.
- Measure your head: Measure your head before shopping for a wig to get an idea of the size you need. You can use a tape measure to measure the circumference of your head at the widest part (just above your ears).
- Choose a wig with a comfortable cap: Look for a wig with a comfortable cap that won't cause irritation or pressure points. For example, a cap made from breathable materials, such as monofilament or lace, can be more comfortable to wear.
By following these tips and trying on wigs in person, you can find a wig that fits well and is comfortable to wear. Feel free to stop by the Private Label Detroit showroom to see all your wig options.
Seek Professional Help or a Wig Consultation
Seeking professional help when choosing a wig can be beneficial for several reasons.
Consulting with a stylist or visiting a wig specialist can provide valuable expertise and guidance to help you find the perfect wig. One benefit of consulting with a stylist is that they can help you choose a wig that complements your natural features and personal style as well as get your correct head measurements.
When recommending wigs, a stylist can consider your face shape, skin tone, and desired style. They can also offer tips on how to style and care for your wig to ensure it looks its best.
Visiting a wig specialist can also be helpful when choosing a wig. Wig specialists are experts in wigs and can provide you with a wide range of options. They can also offer advice on how to find the perfect fit and care for your wig.
In addition to consulting with a stylist or visiting a wig specialist, you can also seek professional help by reading reviews and recommendations from friends or family members who have experience with wigs. By seeking professional help, you can find the perfect wig that fits your needs and preferences.
In summary, there are several important factors to consider when choosing the perfect wig. These include considering your personal needs, such as the type of hair loss you are experiencing and your desired style and length, as well as looking for high-quality hair and a color that flatters your skin tone and face shape. In addition, finding a wig that fits well and is comfortable to wear is also essential.
Finally, seeking professional help, such as consulting with a stylist or visiting a wig specialist, can be beneficial in finding the perfect wig. By following these tips, you can find a wig that looks and feels like your own and enhances your natural beauty.