You already know we love some wigs in Detroit!
But seriously, the decision to wear a wig is personal and can be influenced by various factors, including medical conditions, unique style, and convenience.
This comprehensive guide will delve into the benefits of wearing a wig and provide tips for selecting and caring for them. So please consider picking one up from Private Label Detroit when it's time for a new lace front, headband, closure, or u-part wig.
(Quick Note - The Private Label Detroit website is only for local deliveries in Detroit, Hazel Park, Southfield, Dearborn, Highland Park, and other surrounding cities. If you want to order wigs online, please visit our main Private Label website.)
(Angela Yee wearing a custom 50" U-Part Wig at Private Label Detroit)
From concealing hair loss or thinning to protecting natural hair to trying out different hairstyles and looks, wigs offer a wide range of benefits that can enhance one's appearance and confidence.
Whether new to wigs or a seasoned wig wearer, this guide will provide valuable insights and information to help you make the most of this versatile and convenient accessory.
Let's Get Started with the Definition of a Wig
A wig is a head covering made from synthetic or human hair worn to change one's appearance or cover up hair loss. Wigs can be made from various materials, including human hair, synthetic fibers, and a combination.
Wigs are typically secured to the head with a wig cap, lace glue, or wig grip band and can be styled in various ways to achieve a desired look. Wigs are available in multiple colors, styles, and lengths.
The most popular style wigs include Body Wave, Straight, Deep Wave, and Loose Wave. In addition, many different curl patterns are manufactured to make it easy to switch up your hairstyle.
The type of lace used for a wig is also an essential factor to consider. You know the Detroit girls love some HD Lace Wigs! What's excellent about HD Lace is that it's super thin and blends with all skin tones.
Transparent Lace is more durable than HD and has become very popular over the last few years. Standard Lace is generally dark, which is great for some clients but most now stick to HD or Transparent when choosing a wig.
Most types of wigs have a portion of lace in the front that can give a more realistic look because it adheres to the scalp. Lace Tint is a way to help match the lace color to the person's skin tone for a flawless look.
The length of wigs ranges from 10" - 50", with the most popular inches being 18" - 24" long. The longer the wig, the more money it will cost, as longer hair is harder to find.
It would be best if you also considered the density of the wig when shopping for your next wig. Density refers to "how thick" the wig's appearance is. Most of our wigs are 130%, 150%, and 180% density. The higher the density, the more thick the wig will be. The higher-density wigs require more hair which drives the cost up.
Overview of the Various Types of Wigs Available
Several types of wigs are available, each with unique characteristics and benefits. We offer many of these here are Private Label.
Some common types of wigs include:
- Full Lace Wigs: These cover the entire head and are available in 100% human hair varieties. Full Lace wigs are a good option for those looking to change their appearance or cover up significant hair loss entirely.
- Lace Front Wigs: These wigs have a lace cap at the front of the wig that is virtually undetectable, giving the appearance of a natural hairline. Lace front wigs are often made with human hair and styled in many different curl patterns. The most common frontal size is 13x4, while the more expensive 13x6 is always a great option.
- Closure Wigs: Made with a 4x4 or 5x5 closure in the front, they are a popular choice because of ease of installation and cost. It's always a good idea to have a few closure wigs in the closet for a quick switch-up before hitting Greektown or Detroit Nightlife.
- U-part Wigs: These wigs have a U-shaped opening at the top of the wig, allowing the wearer to blend their natural hair with the wig hair. U-part wigs are a good option for those looking to add volume and length to their natural hair in a subtle way.
- Headband Wigs: During the pandemic, Headband Wigs became increasingly popular. Working from home and need to hop on a Zoom call real quick? Throw on your Headband Wig in less than a minute and go to work!
Various wigs are available that are perfect for all types of occasions. From walking down the Detroit Riverwalk to catching a Lion's Game, it's always good to have a wig ready for any event!
Wigs for Protecting Natural Hair
Wearing a wig can also help protect natural hair from damage and other environmental factors.
For example, if you frequently use heat styling tools or expose your hair to harsh chemicals, wearing a wig can provide a break for your natural hair, allowing it to rest and recover. In addition, wigs can protect from extreme weather conditions, such as strong winds or UV rays, which can damage and dry out the natural hair.
By protecting natural hair, wigs can help preserve its health and quality, resulting in more robust and resilient hair over time. This is especially important for those with damaged or fragile hair due to chemical treatments or medical conditions.
When selecting a wig to protect natural hair, choosing one made with a quality wig cap that are gentle on the hair and scalp which is crucial. Avoid wigs made from synthetic fibers that can be harsh and irritating, and opt for wigs made from natural materials, such as human hair, that are more gentle and more comfortable to wear.
Overall, wearing a wig can be a helpful way to protect natural hair from damage and environmental factors, helping to preserve its health and quality over time.
How Wearing a Wig Can Allow for a Break from Harsh Hair Treatments and Styling
In addition to protecting the natural hair from damage, wearing a wig can also provide a break from harsh hair treatments and styling.
For those who frequently style their hair with heat tools or use harsh chemicals, such as hair dyes or perms, wearing a wig can allow the natural hair to rest and recover. A protective style can be especially beneficial for those with damaged or fragile hair, as it can help to repair and strengthen the hair over time.
Wearing a wig can also allow one to try out different hairstyles and looks without committing to permanent changes or harsh treatments. With a wig, you can experiment with different colors, lengths, and styles without the need for cutting, coloring, or other damaging treatments.
Switching up a wig can be especially appealing for those who like to try out a new style without damaging their natural hair.
When selecting a wig to provide a break from harsh hair treatments and styling, choose one that is a good fit and easy to manage.
Overall, wearing a wig can provide a break from harsh hair treatments and styling, helping to protect and repair the natural hair and allowing for experimentation with different styles and looks.
Trying out Different Hairstyles and Looks
One of the main benefits of wearing a wig is trying out different hairstyles and looks without committing to permanent changes. With a wig, you can experiment with different colors, lengths, and styles without cutting, coloring, or other damaging treatments. This hairstyle change can be especially appealing for those who like to switch up their looks frequently or want to try a new style without damaging their natural hair.
In addition to allowing for experimentation with different styles, wigs can also be a convenient way to maintain a desired look. For example, wearing a wig can save time and effort while still achieving your desired look if you have a signature style that requires a lot of styling and maintenance.
A wig allows for your inner Beyonce or Rihanna to come out! You can show your hairstylist the latest photo of your favorite celebrity and have them construct a wig or hairstyle to match. The best part about a wig is that you are not committing to a long-term hairstyle.
If you are cruising downtown with the Detroit Rolling Pub, you want to throw on a headband wig. A cute bob might be perfect for a Detroit Tigers game. Have a wig ready for every event!
When selecting a wig to try out different hairstyles and looks, it is vital to choose one made from 100% virgin hair that is comfortable and easy to style.
Synthetic wigs are generally easier to style and maintain than human hair wigs, but they may not look as natural. On the other hand, human hair wigs can be styled and maintained the same way as natural hair, but they may require more time and effort.
Human hair wigs are generally worth the investment when adequately maintained. Private Label Detroit offers affordable human hair wigs to fit every budget!
Overall, wearing a wig can be a fun and convenient way to try out different hairstyles and looks without committing to permanent changes or using damaging treatments.
Wigs for Enhancing Your Outfit
Wigs can also be used to enhance an outfit, adding character and authenticity to performance or cosplay. So whether you are dressing up for the holidays, a themed party, or a convention, a wig can be the perfect finishing touch to complete your look.
When selecting a wig for an outfit, choosing one appropriate for the character or theme you are portraying is essential. This may involve matching the wig to the specific colors and style of the character or costume or choosing a wig that adds a unique touch or flair to your look.
We have even thought of releasing wigs to match some of the new sneaker drops by Nike. Wouldn't that be fun? Or a wig to match your favorite shirt from Made in Detroit. The possibilities are endless.
It's also essential to consider the comfort and durability of the wig when wearing it for extended periods. U-part wigs can quickly come on and off. With a little more effort, so can a closure wig.
On the other hand, a Lace Front Wig or Full Lace Wig glued down will require much more effort and maintenance. Wigs can be a valuable and fun accessory for enhancing an outfit and adding character and authenticity to your look.
Wig Care and Maintenance
Proper care and maintenance are essential for keeping your wig looking its best and extending its lifespan.
Here are a few tips for caring for your wig:
- Store your wig properly: When not in use, store it on a wig stand or mannequin head to maintain its shape. Avoid hanging the wig by the cap, as this can stretch it out and cause it to lose its shape.
- Avoid exposing your wig to heat: Heat can damage and dry out synthetic wigs, so avoid using hot tools, such as hair dryers or curling irons, on your wig. If you need to style your wig, use a low heat setting and hold the tool at least 6 inches away from the wig.
- Handle your wig gently: Avoid pulling on or tugging at your wig, as this can cause tangles and damage to the knots and wefts. When combing or brushing your wig, be gentle and use a wide-tooth comb or a wig brush specifically designed for wigs.
- Wash your wig regularly: How often you need to wash your wig depends on how often you wear it and the type of wig you have. Human hair wigs may require cleaning every week or two. When washing your wig, use a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner specifically formulated for wigs.
When removing a lace front or full lace wig, you will notice the glue residue remaining on the lace. We offer a unique lace glue removal solution and a cleaning solution to remove the excess glue. Cleaning the lace after taking the wig off will allow you to re-apply the wig later without cutting the lace or removing additional residue.
By following these tips and taking proper care of your wig, you can keep it looking its best and extend its lifespan.
Is a Wig Right For You?
Wearing a wig can provide a variety of benefits, including:
- Concealing hair loss or thinning: Wearing a wig can be helpful for those looking to cover hair loss or thinning and boost their confidence and self-esteem.
- Protecting natural hair: Wearing a wig can protect the natural hair from heat damage and other environmental factors, helping to preserve its health and quality over time. It gets cold in Detroit, so a thick wig is a must!
- Providing a break from harsh hair treatments and styling: Wearing a wig can allow the natural hair to rest and recover from heat styling and harsh chemicals, helping to repair and strengthen the hair over time.
- Allowing for experimentation with different styles and looks: Wearing a wig can let one try out different hairstyles and looks without committing to permanent changes or damaging treatments.
- Enhancing an outfit: Wigs can be an effective and fun way to complete a costume or enhance an outfit, adding character and authenticity to a performance or cosplay.
Considering these benefits, you can determine if wearing a wig is right for you and find the perfect wig to meet your needs and preferences.
While wearing a wig can provide various benefits, such as concealing hair loss or thinning, protecting the natural hair, and allowing for experimentation with different styles and looks, it is not the right choice for everyone.
Take the time to research and consider the different types of wigs available, and think about what you hope to achieve by wearing a wig. Your Private Label team is always here if you need more information about the different types of wigs available on the market.
Are you looking to conceal hair loss or thinning, or do you want to experiment with different styles and looks? Consider your budget, lifestyle, and any other factors that may be relevant to your decision.
Once you have a clear idea of your needs and preferences, you can talk to a wig specialist or stylist to get more information and guidance. They can help you choose the right wig for your needs and provide tips and advice on caring for and maintaining it.
We have a variety of the most popular wigs at Private Label Detroit. So remember to stop by our showroom on 8 Mile and Dequindre.
Overall, it is essential to approach the decision to wear a wig with an open mind and be willing to try different options to find the one that works best for you.
Wearing a wig can be a positive and rewarding experience with careful consideration and the right approach.